Thursday, April 16, 2009

some notes regarding the cooking of pork

1. Father Capon deals not with the humble pork cutlet nor with its preparation in his otherwise magnificent book, Supper of the Lamb. This was revealed to me today, making me feel like I did the first time I realized that I could actually drink the entire Dr. Pepper can. There was, finally, a bottom to my pleasure. 

b.  Pork is wonderful barbecued. Or bbq'd. Or thrown onto a fire, smothered in a deep red sauce that smells like burnt wood and Jack Daniels. Perhaps the Lord didn't want Israel sacrificing pork because He knew it would be too much of a temptation for them not to actually let the pieces burn up on the alter. I doubt that was the actual reason, but I like it anyways. 

iii. If you ever barbecue pork, I recommend the following: Having well basted the meat in sauce, pepper, and salt, lay an apple (make sure it's a tart one - Pink Ladies work well) sideways on the cutting board, so that the stem is sideways. Cut through it, making circular rounds. You want them maybe 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. That way you give moisture to the pork without demanding too much of the poor apple. Cut these rounds in half, and nick out the harder core-esque bits. Drop those bad boys right on top of the pork whilst it chars. When you flip the pork the one time that will be necessary (any more and you're throwing away not only any possibility of being called a grill-master but also the juices the pork and apples try to hard to hoard against the flames) make sure that you put the apples back on top on the cooked side. 2 apples will top about 6 decently sized pieces of pork, or enough for 3 hungry bachelors. 

2 comments:

  1. How I miss southern bbq'd pork. And your post makes my mouth water. Capon would be proud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Odd that you should mention Dr. Pepper and barbecue in the same post, as Dr. Pepper is a great ingredient in barbecue sauce

    ReplyDelete