Monday, January 31, 2011

So under the three forms of lust I have considered the sicknesses of my sins, and I have invoked your right hand to save me (Ps. 102:3). ... This is why I lost you: you do not condescend to be possessed together with falsehood.

augustine, confessions, x.66

structural hypothesis: three forms of lust, he discusses all three in books 5 and 6 (right?) and there are three "grant what you command and command what you will" statements in book 10, all paired with "and you command continence." focus of the work is augustine's search for sexual purity. he finds that he can be a stand-in husband or warden of Christ's bride. and with such a wave of my hand i dismiss all "sexual tension and frustration" and "psycho-sexual disorder" theories of augustine. by the end of the work, any of this so-called sexual tension is resolved because augustine has found the bride he is responsible for.

No comments:

Post a Comment